Safeguarding Your Organisation's Information With:
- Media management best practices and innovative security technologies that protect backup tapes as they move from your location to our vaults
- Advanced tools to track chain of custody as media moves between handlers and locations
- Formalised, auditable workflows that help prove compliance throughout the process.
All of which are available from the Iron Mountain Offsite Tape Vaulting service.
The Evolving Challenges of Information Management
With greater emphasis on enhancing privacy and security, meeting compliance regulations and proving chain of custody, the rules of offsite tape storage practices are undergoing significant change. To meet these emerging demands, you have likely found the need to implement access policies that account for larger volumes of media and exercise greater control over the movement and storage of your tapes. And of course, you need to achieve these goals while ensuring that all processes are executed as efficiently as possible.
- For example, as information volumes multiply exponentially, you will have to manage data growth while providing access to information across formats and locations.
- At the same time, it’s important to gain greater control over tape media to ensure it is secure when being transported, and to prove that offsite tape storage complies with governing policies during audits.
- What’s more, you must also refine and strengthen tape and media management processes to drive greater efficiencies and cost savings.
And as your policies evolve, Iron Mountain can help you put a program in place that is tailored to your unique needs and supports the ongoing security of your media.
Offsite Tape Vaulting From Iron Mountain
A proven, reliable method of efficiently and effectively protecting the business-critical information your company stores outside its walls, the Iron Mountain Offsite Tape Vaulting service secures your data by putting it offsite, offline and out of harm’s way.
It does so by leveraging the following core capabilities:
- Best practice security measures that safeguard tape and other media both in transit and at rest
- A web-based user interface and around-the-clock support that make backup tapes readily available forrecovery whenever the need arises
- Audit support that enables media to be tracked as it moves from your site to an Iron Mountain facility, and provides the reporting capabilities needed to prove chain of custody.
The Key Features of Offsite Tape Vaulting
Our Offsite Tape Vaulting service delivers a wealth of features that work together to help you effectively move your backup media to one of our secure locations, develop firm access and control policies, prove chain of custody and compliance during audits and promote efficiencies without sacrificing security or peace of mind.
The key features of Iron Mountain Offsite Tape Vaulting include:
- Secure, environmentally controlled vaults, each of which is supported by a fault-tolerant IT infrastructure
- TAPEGUARD portal, our online media management application
- A fleet of specially designed transport vehicles
- Secure, auditable transactions that leverage our Verification Process
- 24x7 emergency response services.
Media Vaults Like No Other
At Iron Mountain, we design and maintain facilities with strict temperature, humidity and air quality controls. All of our facilities also employ industry-leading security measures, including:
- Placement outside areas of high crime, natural disasters and other hazards
- Strict, appointment-only visitor policies that require an Iron Mountain employee to be present at all times
- Access controls, including multiple security checkpoints
- Advanced fire suppression systems
- Close proximity to local emergency services
- Intrusion detection systems that are monitored by a central station around the clock
- Pre-screened, well-vetted, highly trained employees.
Tracking From Point A to Point B
Knowing the location of backup tapes and the history of how they have been processed is critical to sound media management. Offsite Tape Vaulting leverages the TAPEGUARD portal, our online media management application, to help you automate tape management between your locations and Iron Mountain facilities. With TAPEGUARD, your organisation can:
- Eliminate data entry
- Receive lodgement reports
- Identify inventory and report discrepancies
- Generate audit reports to prove chain of custody
- Manage and update security lists to ensure that personnel changes are reflected in access rights.
Safe Passage in Transit
Because your media must be protected from the elements while in transit as well as at rest, we have designed a fleet of customised vehicles. TAPEGUARD also provides:
- Wireless scanners that transmit real-time data to the media vaults and help to eliminate errors
- Audit trails that document the flow of events for each transport engagement.
Verified, Reliable Transactions
To help you further enhance the security of your media transfers with Iron Mountain, we include our Verification Process in the Offsite Tape Vaulting service. The authorisation card makes transfers with Iron Mountain more secure and reliable by:
- Electronically verifying the authorisation of the individuals involved in a media exchange
- Ensuring that all exchanges occur in person
- Registering all activity in TAPEGUARD for later review and auditing.
Optional, On-Demand Services
You can enhance your Offsite Tape Vaulting program with any of the following services:
- Dedicated Transportation: Carries only your media in a dedicated vehicle.
- MediaCare™: Extends best practices to media in branch, remote office locations and data centre environments. Iron Mountain trained staff can manage media changes, saving you time and money.
- Tape Library: Manages the entire lifecycle of a project.
The Offsite Tape Vaulting Workflow
Every time you schedule the transport of tapes from your location to an Iron Mountain facility — whether it’s a single tape or a whole library — the process is subject to a rigorous, multi-step workflow that ensures all items are accounted for every step of the way. Our workflow leverages a check-and-balance methodology that continually validates that the right steps are being executed in the right manner, helping us better protect your media and enhance chain of custody.
For example, as tapes travel between your location and our facility, their progress is logged in to TAPEGUARD solution, which enables you to keep tabs on the movement of your tapes — including when they are loaded into transport containers and unloaded at their destination. Upon arrival, the contents of the transport container are confirmed and your tapes are vaulted following best practices for media storage. And, should you need your media at anytime, you can request it through the TAPEGUARD and organise a quick delivery to your specified location.
Support Where and When You Need It
We pride ourselves on being there whenever and wherever you need our help. That’s why Offsite Tape Vaulting ensures that all customer calls, regardless of time or day, are answered by a live, fully trained customer service professional. And because we recognise the importance of working with the people who know your organisation and its processes the best, our local teams can give responsive, in-area support when needed.
Practical Advice. Services. A Complete Solution.
Today, offsite tape storage programmes must address emerging challenges, meet compliance guidelines and foster efficiencies. With the Iron Mountain Offsite Tape Vaulting service, you benefit from practical advice and robust capabilities that help you meet these challenges — while enabling you to leverage the industry’s largest network of storage facilities and time-tested media management best practices.
Offsite Tape Vaulting combines a host of capabilities into a comprehensive offering that helps you:
- Protect and track media while in transit
- Identify and acquire the tapes needed to recover from a disaster or disruption
- Respond to compliance audits
- Strengthen chain of custody
- Reduce the risks and costs related to media management.
What’s more, Offsite Tape Vaulting exemplifies Iron Mountain’s unique ability to provide you with practical advice for all of your data protection needs, helping you effectively and efficiently address your organisation’s evolving information management challenges.